Sheila Marcelo is the CEO and Co-Founder of Care.com, the world’s largest online destination for finding and managing family care. She is part a rare group of women who are public company CEO’s making up just 3% of all publicly traded stocks. Unlike other female CEOs in tech like Carly Fiorina, Meg Whitman, and Marissa Mayer, Marcelo was also a co-founder of her company.
10 Things To Know About This Femde Woman
1. She scrubbed floors with coconut husks in her home country of the Philippines
2. Moved to the US to attend a women’s college. Her parents assumed that meant no men were ever allowed on campus.
3. She got unexpectedly pregnant in her all girls college and got married – to her parents shock
4. Her husband promised her parents at their rushed wedding she was still going to achieve everything they’d hoped for her.
5. She wasn’t only “different” because she was a woman and an immigrant, she was a mother to a young child in her twenties– the most formative years of her career.
6. She frequently served on teams where men were twice her age.
7. Being taken seriously was a challenge, which caused her to lie about being a mom
8. She had to lie to make sure she was getting the same opportunities as her male colleagues.
9. All of this made her a better mother and a better boss.
10 Most stunning statements was that she didn’t experience discrimination before coming to this country because the Philippines is such a matriarchal culture.
Source: Pando Daily